How to work as doctor in Ireland

With an increase in population and a high rate of emigration amongst graduates from Irish medical schools, Ireland has a shortage of medics and has, consequently, become very dependent on doctors who were trained in foreign countries.

If you are a doctor who received your medical degree from a university outside of Ireland, we would like to provide you with some information about what you need to do to become qualified in Ireland.

All doctors who plan to practice medicine in Ireland must be registered with the Irish Medical Council. Therefore, the first step you must take is to visit the Medical Council’s website.

Check if you are eligible to apply and which registration to apply for

It is very important that you firstly find out if you are eligible to register with the Medical Council, and, if so, which type of registration you should apply for. You can do this by looking at the eligibility chart on the Medical Council’s website{:target="_blank"}.

The eligibility chart{:target="_blank"} will ask you some questions based on whether you qualified as a doctor in the EU or outside of the EU, and whether you completed specialist training or not.

How to apply for online registration:

  • Visit the Medical Council’s website.
  • Create an online registration account.
  • Submit an online application. You will need your passport number and a credit/debit card to pay the fees.
  • Submit the required documentation, including dates and information about your medical training, passport-sized photos, application fee and a notarised/attested copy of documents.
  • Ask the issuing authority where you did your medical training to send the Medical Council your Certificate of Current Professional Status.
  • The Medical Council will email you a reference number for your application.
  • The Medical Council will review your application and check your documentation with other institutions.
  • The Medical Council will make a decision on your application.
  • Depending on your medical training, you may have to sit the Pre-Registration Examination System (PRES).
  • If you are given permission to register, the Medical Council will notify you of which division you may register in.

All doctors applying to register with the Medical Council must provide proof that they have professional indemnity insurance.

Have your professional documentation translated

If you studied in a non-English speaking country, you will have to provide the Medical Council with translations of all the necessary documentation relating to your medical studies. At TranslateMyCert, our team of professional translators will be delighted to assist you with any translations you may need. We have made the translation process very simple for our clients. For a free quote, all you have to do is upload to our website{:target="_blank"} or take photos of the documents you need to have translated.

We hope that you have found this information useful. We wish you all the very best with your new life as a doctor in Ireland.